Theater/R.O.T.W./Time Passages Segments
LUCIE ARNEZ AWARDS
Discussing 5/31 – @ the Purple Room. Finalists for lead actor and actress in a musical Lucie Arnez Award from CV High Schools leading up to New York’s National High School Music Awards on 6/19-26. Flavor of “The Tony’s” . Apply now for Musical Theatre University’s next session in the fall. Free classes after regular high school classes.
IDYLLWILD PLEIN AIR
For plein air artists, the light “changes” every 2 hours.
– 6/9 – FREE live Plein Air demo and discussion @ 7 PM @ The Grand Idyllwild Lodge. Limited seating.
– 6/10 – Outdoor Idyllwild Plein Air celebration. Judged event w/ cash prizes and wine @ Middleridge Winery in the heart of town. Art for sale ranging from $250.
RESTAURANT OF THE WEEK
Discussing “Oscar’s” presentation of “Psycho, the Musical Parody” tonight 5/27 @ 8:30 PM and tomorrow 5/28 @ 2 PM @ 8 PM
Dina Merrill: 12/29/1923 – 5/22/2017
Roger Moore: 10/14/1927 – 5/23/2017
Darla N. of Cathedral City, CA
Medical/Palm Springs Chamber/Community/DAP Segment
EISENHOWER MEDICAL CENTER
Elizabeth Wholihan and Susan Effinger
Discussing Stroke Awareness Month in May.
– “B” – blood pressure
– “R” – reduce cholesterol
– “A” – aspirin/anticoagulant and antithrombosis
– “I” – increase activity
– “N” – no smoking or drugs
– “S” – sleep apnea
GO TO THE ER….not Urgent Care w/ these symptoms. Be most aware if things happen suddenly. Lots of seminars and lectures on all health issues
– 5/31 – “Queen of the Desert” 20-cal lip sync competition benefiting D.A.P. @ the Renaissance Hotel. 6 PM. $20/general, $40/preferred, $100/vip. Celebrity judges including Miss Joey English and Miss Ruta Lee.
– report on Revivals stores and planned remodel of Palm Springs store. Also the largest lighting store in the desert.
PALM SPRINGS CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
The C.E.O. Nona Watson
– Chamber tours thru ACT to India from 2/22 thru 3/3, 2018 and Australia/Figi from 3/25 thru 4/3/2018 go to www.act-tours.com and call (760) 322-1247)
– The new yearly City Guide. Free @ the Chamber office.
– 6/13 – June Business Awards luncheon @ the Renaissance..Steve will be installed @ incoming Pres. of the Chamber.
– 6/19 – Arenas Street “Pub Crawl”
– 9/19 – Planned “State of the City” celebration/block party @ the Museum Marketplace.
– The latest discussions about the (combined???) Coachella Valley Chamber of Commerce.
– Victoria’s Secret has picked Palm Springs as the “sexiest city”
– May’s joint mixer w/ the P.S. Air Museum @ Spencer’s.
– Co-working space @ the Chamber offices @ 190 W. Amado Road.
…to join the chamber, go to the web site of email Nona @ email@example.com
Paul C. of Indio, CA
Dennis Van Buskirk
Discussing insurance issues for rentals and vacation rentals. Insurance needs for your primary and/or secondary home. Insurance needs for Air B ‘n B customers.
Best prices around for dental and auto. Service for all insurance needs. Spanish speaking office as well. www.ascendins.com
BRADY SANDAHL REALTY
Discussing he is a “buyer’s agent” and he hyper-focuses on them. The health of the P.S. and Coachella Valley real estate market. Sales are up in Palm springs. Pricing is up over all, ut inventory is down. Brady’s “Mystery Houses” www.bradysandahl.com
DESERT HEALTHCARE DISTRICT AND FOUNDATION
Herb Schultz, CEO
Discussing mission to connect residents w/ health and wellness services and programs. Has a 5 member elected Board. DHCD’s previous grants and support of local charities. Discussed vote in 2018 to expand from the West Valley to the entire Coachella Valley and help more residents in underserved areas of our communities.
Rob U. of La Quinta, CA. – 1st TIME WINNER!!!!
R.O.T.W./Life Coaching/Theater Segments
RESTAURANT OF THE WEEK
– June 2 – 11 – Restaurant week. $29. A 3-course menu w/ same food/portions as when the price is $42. Special price will continue all summer.
– Memorial Day weekend offerings.
DESERT ROSE PLAYHOUSE
Discussing “Clark Gable Slept Here” runs thru 5/28. Fri. and Sat., @ 8 PM and Sun. @ 2 PM.
TALK OF STARS/P.S. CULTURAL CENTER/CAMELOT THEATER
Discussing 5/27 @ 2 PM – “A Very Sordid Double Feature” screening of “Sordid Lives” and “A Very Sordid Wedding”, wine tasting and Q&A w/ Del Shores etc., $11. His future plans, possible TV and a stage play. Performing in Oct., @ the Camelot…”6 characters in search of a play”
Jane’t P., Palm Desert, CA
Dr. Brian Hodgkins
TONIGHT 5/20 – 27th “Festival In the Canyons” @ the Ritz to benefit Hanson House.
Report on the 5/19 Health Fair in Morongo that was attended by 500 people.
Partnership w/ DAP to do special blood tests for Hepatitis C virus that affects the liver. (contact info: www.mydohc.com and (760) 969-6562
DESERT LEGAL GROUP
– Discussion of various construction scams re: defects in design or materials, etc.,
– Discussion of liability for dog bites.
– Discussion of the elements of “disclosure”.
PALM SPRINGS HOME TEAM
Brandon Holland and Conrad Miller
– in 2016, 54% of real estate sales happened in the so-called “off-season”.
– need for listings, free suggestions, and help.
– Stage great open houses.
– Palm Springs market is really recovered.
Marjorie McC., Palm Springs, CA
EMERSON AND FARRAR FINE JEWELRY
– Discussion of May’s birthstone, Emeralds
Photo of tear drop pear-shaped ring ($31,700)and bracelet ($11,000).
– Re-design your old jewelry so you can get some use/wear out of it.
– Having Paul “check/clean” your jewelry is THE BEST INSURANCE you can have.
PALM SPRINGS SUBARU
Discussing their donation to the Boys and Girls Club. They give a portion of EACH car sale to a charity each time. Discussion of how safe Subarus are. Built in Indiana, without landfill at their plant. The Subaru “Legacy” has no deaths in the current model since 2008.
Louise C., Palm Springs, CA
RESTAURANT OF THE WEEK
James “Gypsy” Haauk
– Every Saturday…the “Follies. Live musicians backing performers who have a glorious history in entertainment….emceed by Gypsy. His “designer” wardrobe. Dinner and the show only $99. Every Saturday night. Doors open @ 4:30.
– Every Friday….”Oscar’s Cabaret” fabulous drag show complete w/ dancers.. Dinner starts @ 6:30 and Show @ 8 www.palmpringsdinnershows.com and www.oscarspalmsprings.com
PALM SPRINGS AIR MUSEUM
5/27 – 11 AM: Memorial Day ribbon cutting ceremony for new hanger.
5/28 – 3:30 – new glider exhibit and reception.
5/29 – Air Fair and Flower drop (flowers provided by Forest Lawn) Car pool or take Uber/Lyft because of traffic and lines. Brings portable chair. Water will be provided.
LOVING ALL ANIMALS
– Discussion that you SHOULD NOT surprise Mom with a pet unless it’s discussed first.
– Discussion of the fact that lots of pet adoptions are done on-line/social media and help for senior pet owners on-line now.
– Discussion of all spay and neuter services, particularly in “kitty” season.
– Discussion of how to deal w/ your pets in the heat. Rules for walking dogs in the heat and laws against chaining them up with metal chains and the heat.
– Discussion of driving w/ an animal “loose” in the car or car window.
Molly T. of Yucca Valley, CA.
“Senior Moment” Segment
FAMILY HOSPICE CARE
Dr. Howard Cohen
Discussion of Death certificates. Sequence goes from mortician to doctor to health department to coroner. Discussion of cremation. Discussion of pre-planning.
Discussion of Death certificates. They start the process…now mostly electronically…Forest Lawn fills it out and gets the burial permit….Doctors have 15 hours to present themselves and sign it. Discussion of cremation. It matters legally where you spread the ashes…and you must disclose that when selling your home if that is where you spread them. Discussion of pre-planning.
5/29 – FREE Memorial Day 2017 Festivities @ 10:30 AM @ Forest Lawn, Cathedral City
Richard E. of Calimesa, CA.
DESERT REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER
Discussion of May being Stroke Awareness Month.
– 5/18 Free Seminar “How New Stroke Treatment Could Save Your Life” @ Mizell Senior Center.
– 5/20 – Hanson House Foundation presents “Festival in the Canyons” XXII. www.festivalinthecanyons.com, www.hansonhouse.org and (760) 323-6673
– 5/21 – “Movie Night” featuring the El Mirador Hotel Film @ D.R.M.C./Sinatra Education Center Auditorium
– 5/25 Free Seminar “Why Diabetes Affects the Foot” @ D.H.S. Senior Center.
– 6/1 Free Seminar “10 Steps to Preventing Falls” @ Mizell Senior Center
– Test to see if you are @ risk for heart disease. www.desertregioal.com/heartcare.
RSVP @ (800) 491-4990
NEURO VITALITY CENTER
Discussion of May being Stroke Awareness Month. Need for volunteers now that snowbirds are gone. They will train them in speech and exercise therapy for example. Need for volunteers in Dining Room, Kitchen, Reception, Thrift Store, Support Groups, Building and Light Maintenance and Recreation Therapy. The only facility of its kind in the world.
PALM SPRING LIFE / WOMEN IN BUSINESS AWARD
Denise DuBarry Hay
Being the keynote speaker @ the 5/19 Luncheon @ The Ritz Carlton honoring the Coachella Valley’s most dynamic women in business.
Martin D. of Desert Hot Springs, CA.
MC CALLUM MOMENTS
Discussing 5/13 “East Valley Voices – Out Loud” by internationally-known story teller, David Gonzales. Details of how this event came about and what it involves. For the entire family. Entire 2017-2018 Schedule and different “series”.
James “Gypsy” Haauk
Discussing Grand opening of the “Follies” tonight @ “Oscar’s” in Palm Springs. Live musicians backing performers who have a glorious history in entertainment….emceed by Gypsy. His “designer” wardrobe. Dinner and the show only $99. Every Saturday night. Doors open @ 4:30.
RESTAURANT OF THE WEEK
Discussing “A.J.’s On The Green and Splash Bar” located @ the Date Palm Country Club. Fabulous new menu w/ fresh ingredients and super prices. Next week new bar menu and early-bird specials. Award-winning entertainment EVERY night except there’s Sunday Brunch
MC CALLUM MOMENTS/DESERT SYMPHONY
Discussing Symphony’s entire 5 show 2017-2018 Season. Conducted by Gary Berkson
PALM SPRINGS CULTURAL CENTER/CAMELOT THEATRES
Discussing 5/11 – 5/14: Arthur Lyons “Film Noir” Festival and new association with Turner Classic Movies are all 35 mm, no digital.
Laurie D. of Palm Springs, CA. – 1st. TIME WINNER!!!!!
TOWN CENTER COMPOUNDING PHARMACY
Leslie Todd nurse practitioner/professor of nursing.
Discussing how alkaline water and bio-identical hormones impact: fibroids, is exercise necessary, shingles, gallstones, pneumonia, diabetes. Bio-identical testosterone and progesterone and their effectiveness against cancer, diabetes, HIV, etc., Free consultations and prescriptions for blood work www.facebook.com/towncentercompoundingpharmacy
Ralph S. of Palm Springs, CA.
L.G.B.T./Go Green Segment
Discussing need for Volunteers @ all stores. Minimum of 4 hours a week, they will train you. He’s singing in “Desert’s Got Talent” TONIGHT @ the Annenberg. Benefit’s BOO2Bullying. Sponsored by Donna MacMilla, Harold Matzner, Dallas Greene, Helene Galen & Jamie Kabler. (contact info: www.revivalsstores.com and email: firstname.lastname@example.org (760) 969-5742)
Discussing TONIGHT: 5/6 “Evening Under the Stars” w/ Martha and the Vandellas. TONIGHT: 1st ever…East Coachella Valley Pride Event. White Party Weekend (contact info: www.thecenterps.com and (760) 416-7790
HOT PURPLE ENERGY
Discussing energy upgrades i.e. battery backup for medical equipment in your home. Had a car here in the desert running on “spent” oil….running on used vegetable oil or a mixture of used vegetable and diesel fuel and therefore “carbon- neutral”. Advantages of solar for your home. 18% of homes in P.S. have solar. Free estimates. Rental cost of equipment will be lower than you electric bills. Laws change in July re: the “net metering” from 1.0 to 2.0. Party TONIGHT @ 5 @ 810 N. Farrell
DESERT WATER AGENCY
Dicussing Turf buy-back program; new “smart controllers”; new efficient sprinkler nozzles; toilet “trade-out” program for $100.
Eddie C. of Palm Springs, CA.