May 13, 2017
RESTAURANT OF THE WEEK
James “Gypsy” Haauk
– Every Saturday…the “Follies. Live musicians backing performers who have a glorious history in entertainment….emceed by Gypsy. His “designer” wardrobe. Dinner and the show only $99. Every Saturday night. Doors open @ 4:30.
– Every Friday….”Oscar’s Cabaret” fabulous drag show complete w/ dancers.. Dinner starts @ 6:30 and Show @ 8 www.palmpringsdinnershows.com and www.oscarspalmsprings.com
PALM SPRINGS AIR MUSEUM
5/27 – 11 AM: Memorial Day ribbon cutting ceremony for new hanger.
5/28 – 3:30 – new glider exhibit and reception.
5/29 – Air Fair and Flower drop (flowers provided by Forest Lawn) Car pool or take Uber/Lyft because of traffic and lines. Brings portable chair. Water will be provided.
LOVING ALL ANIMALS
– Discussion that you SHOULD NOT surprise Mom with a pet unless it’s discussed first.
– Discussion of the fact that lots of pet adoptions are done on-line/social media and help for senior pet owners on-line now.
– Discussion of all spay and neuter services, particularly in “kitty” season.
– Discussion of how to deal w/ your pets in the heat. Rules for walking dogs in the heat and laws against chaining them up with metal chains and the heat.
– Discussion of driving w/ an animal “loose” in the car or car window.
Molly T. of Yucca Valley, CA.
“Senior Moment” Segment
FAMILY HOSPICE CARE
Dr. Howard Cohen
Discussion of Death certificates. Sequence goes from mortician to doctor to health department to coroner. Discussion of cremation. Discussion of pre-planning.
Discussion of Death certificates. They start the process…now mostly electronically…Forest Lawn fills it out and gets the burial permit….Doctors have 15 hours to present themselves and sign it. Discussion of cremation. It matters legally where you spread the ashes…and you must disclose that when selling your home if that is where you spread them. Discussion of pre-planning.
5/29 – FREE Memorial Day 2017 Festivities @ 10:30 AM @ Forest Lawn, Cathedral City
Richard E. of Calimesa, CA.
DESERT REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER
Discussion of May being Stroke Awareness Month.
– 5/18 Free Seminar “How New Stroke Treatment Could Save Your Life” @ Mizell Senior Center.
– 5/20 – Hanson House Foundation presents “Festival in the Canyons” XXII. www.festivalinthecanyons.com, www.hansonhouse.org and (760) 323-6673
– 5/21 – “Movie Night” featuring the El Mirador Hotel Film @ D.R.M.C./Sinatra Education Center Auditorium
– 5/25 Free Seminar “Why Diabetes Affects the Foot” @ D.H.S. Senior Center.
– 6/1 Free Seminar “10 Steps to Preventing Falls” @ Mizell Senior Center
– Test to see if you are @ risk for heart disease. www.desertregioal.com/heartcare.
RSVP @ (800) 491-4990
NEURO VITALITY CENTER
Discussion of May being Stroke Awareness Month. Need for volunteers now that snowbirds are gone. They will train them in speech and exercise therapy for example. Need for volunteers in Dining Room, Kitchen, Reception, Thrift Store, Support Groups, Building and Light Maintenance and Recreation Therapy. The only facility of its kind in the world.
PALM SPRING LIFE / WOMEN IN BUSINESS AWARD
Denise DuBarry Hay
Being the keynote speaker @ the 5/19 Luncheon @ The Ritz Carlton honoring the Coachella Valley’s most dynamic women in business.
Martin D. of Desert Hot Springs, CA.