“Go Green” Segment – November 6, 2021
11:00 – 12:00 PM
Hour 3 Seg 1 – “Go Green” Segment
DESERT WATER AGENCY w/ Xochitl Pena re: 1200 S. Gene Autry Tr., Palm Springs, CA. 92262.
- On Oct., 19, Gov. Newsom declared all of CA. in a drought emergency and said to conserve water..
- Riverside County was among the last 8 counties added to the drought state of emergency.
- All water agencies are now required to evaluate their Water Shortage Contingency Plan.
- Local water supplies are healthy due to our aquifer. DWA continues to monitor the situation.
- Conservation should be a way of life.
- (contact info: www.dwa.org/drought.
- Customers can apply for $200 a year in water bill credit by going to www.dwa.org/h2o and filling out a simple online form.
- DWA recently increased water bill credits from $50 and applying twice in a year to $200 and only having to apply once in the year. If you got one or two $50 credit before, you can reapply so you total $200 for the year.
- For more information or to apply go to www.dwa.org/h2o
- STEP UP & SAVE W/ INCENTIVES.
- DWA encourages its customers to “go gold” by skipping the overseeding process and letting grass brown a bit during the winter months in order to reduce water use.
- Scalping or overseeding is a common practice for grass areas in the fall. It involves replacing your summer Bermuda grass with winter rye grass by adding seeds and increasing irrigation until the winter grass starts to grow.
- If you do choose to overseed, make sure it is efficient.
- Start late: overseed in late October or November, that way you will need less water to germinate the seeds.
- Check your sprinklers: fix any pressure problems, make sure sprinklers are aimed in the right direction and repair any leaks.
- You can find these and more efficient overseeding tips at www.dwa.org/overseeding
- PIPELINE PROJECTS.
- DWA has about 425 miles of pipeline – some installed during the Great Depression.
- Each year DWA identifies & replaces critical areas of pipe across the city.
- Two projects; Tahquitz River Estates and Araby Drive.
H2O WATER BILL ASSISTANCE.
- DWA increased assistance from $100. To $200/year.
- Go to www.dwa.org/h2o to apply..
– (contact info; www.dwa.org and (760) 323-4971).