cont. “Senior Moment” Segment – September 11, 2021
10:00 – 11:00 AM
Hour 2 Seg 2 – cont. “Senior Moment” Segment
DEMENTIA HELP CENTER w/ Lisa Stanford re: Family Care Consultant w/ a background w/ Alzheimer and Dementia in her family.
– REPORT on how the family dynamic caused her to get involved, typical for many families.
– REPORT that Kae’s book “Pathways – A guidebook for dementia and Alzheimer family caregivers”. (You can get it from Amazon) helped Lisa SO MUCH.
– REPORT on Vascular Dementia.
– DISCUSSION that many times sufferers of dementia are not happy people, but often being in a care facility improves their quality of life.
– REPORT on the options available to relieve care-giver burnout.
1. To prevent boredom, especially in caregivers. TAKE THE LOVED ONE out for a drive. Limit it to 30 minutes. Put on their favorite music in the car. Can take the same route all the time BECAUSE it will ALWAYS BE NEW.
2. Mental stimulation is so important to longevity.
3. Socialization is so important. Even to folks in wheel chairs…i.e. play balloon volleyball.
4. Spirituality can be achieved by turning OFF the TV. Music is soooo therapeudic.
QUESTIONS FROM JOEY PAL’S
1.Is there a connection between driving and Alzheimers? (Driving can reveal early signs of Alzheimers. Folks tend to drive more slowly, make sharp turns, etc.)
2. 6 cups of coffee increases the chance of getting Dementia by 53%? (Drinking coffee IN MODERATION lowers the risk of dementia…6 cups is too much, AND DRINK WATER along w/ the coffee. Perhaps decaf would be better.)
– (contact info: www.dementiahelpcenter.com and (760) 636-6355).