D.O.H.C./Women’s Segment – October 18, 2023
3:00 – 4:00 PM
Seg 1 – D.O.H.C./Women’s Segment
LISTEN TO THE COMPLETE SHOW FOR DETAILS OF SUBJECTS DISCUSSED IN THIS INTERVIEW.
DESERT OASIS HEALTH CARE/WOMEN’S SEGMENT w/ Dr. Loren Khoury re: Internal Medicine and Primary Care Specialist.
– THEME FOR THE DAY; Breast Cancer and Oct., is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
– REPORT that breast cancer is the 2nd leading cause of cancer deaths in women in the U.S. Lung cancer is #1.
– REPORT that 13% of all women will get breast cancer in their lifetime. (one in 10 women)
– DISCUSSION that 3.8 million women are living w/ breast cancer.
– REPORT that the median age for diagnosis is 63, but 1 in 6 women will be diagnosed in their 40’s.
. RECOMMEND yearly mammograms beginning in a woman’s 40’s.
– REPORT that finding cancer early; i.e. stage 1 there is a 97% survival rate @ 10 years.
– REPORT that the same cancer; i.e. stage 4 that has spread to other parts of the body there is only a 16% survival rate @ 10 year.
– RECOMMENDATION that after 30 woman should start doing monthly self-exams.
– DISCUSSION of possible causes;
2. Started periods young.
3. Never breast fed.
4. Was never pregnant.
– REPORT that there is a blood and saliva test for the gene to see if you might get breast cancer.
– REPORT on the new 3-dimensional mammograms.
– (contact info; www.mydohc.com and (760) 842-7970).