cont. Children/Charity Segment – September 8, 2023
5:00 – 6:00 AM and 3:00 – 4:00 PM
Seg 2 – cont. Children/Charity Segment
LISTEN TO THE COMPLETE SHOW FOR DETAILS OF SUBJECTS DISCUSSED IN THIS INTERVIEW.
BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS of the DESERT w/ Judy Tobin May, Executive Director re: 42600 Cook Street, Ste., 110. Palm Desert, CA,. 92211
– HOLD THE DATE: 9/29 from 5:30 – 8:30 PM “BIG GAME NIGHT” @ the Ironwood Country Club, 73735 Irontree Dr., Palm Desert. Adult night. Buffet dinner, drinks, game challenges w/ lots of fun games, with prizes. Outside on the patio. $125. For dinner, 2 drinks and all the games. If you call and use the code word “chocolate” you’ll get the ticket for $100.
– REPORT on mission statement. This is a FREE mentoring program that matches volunteers w/ children. Mentors spend 4 to 8 hours a month getting together doing activities. Especially important after Covid to add a positive role model to these kid’s lives.
– REPORT that volunteers are asked to spend @ least one year with a child, but the average “match” lasts 5 years.
– DISCUSSION of the children are mostly from single-parent homes. All scenarios.
– REPORT that there were 150 children in the program last year along w/ 150 volunteers. NEED MORE OF BOTH. Care is taken to make a good “match”.
– DISCUSSION on how BBBS finds the children.
– REPORT on ages 6 and 18 are the client.
– (contact info; www.BBBSDesert.org and (760) 568-3977.)
CHILDREN’S DISCOVERY MUSEUM OF THE DESERT w/ Cindy Burrason, CEO re:
– REPORT that they have been in the Desert 20 years.
– REPORT that they have been CLOSED since 2020 due to the Pandemic and then took advantage of that time to do some updating.
– DISCUSSION of the new and improved features; 40 exhibits. i.e. pizza place, rock climbing wall, farmer’s market, costume, etc.,
– REPORT that they had a $3 million dollar budget, a line of credit and they are fundraising to repay the loan.
– DISCUSSION of the great venue for families, kids, etc. Everything is safe and secure there.
– REPORT that CDMOD is a certified autism center.
– NEED to donate; on-line, text to kidsrock244321, mail a check, anything.
– SAVE THE DATE. March 25, 2024 they will be re-opening. Then all 3 buildings will open.
– (contact info: www.cdmod.org and (760).)