Tours Segment – November 7, 2023
3:00 – 4:00 PM
Seg 3 – Tours Segment
LISTEN TO THE COMPLETE SHOW FOR DETAILS OF SUBJECTS DISCUSSED IN THIS INTERVIEW.
RED JEEP TOURS “MOUNTAINS OF FUN” w/ Rick Curtiss re; 74-794 Lennon Pl., Ste., B. Palm Desert.
– REPORT that Red-Jeep Tours is in it’s 36th year. Was started by a woman.
– REPORT that reptiles “brumate” and small desert mammals “estivate”.
– REPORT that they are “back to their regular schedule” of tours. Doing morning and afternoon tours again. 8 AM and 1 PM.
– REPORT They have 15 Jeeps and 2 SUVs. They have 40 drivers/guides. All are well-trained and make their own tours up. Although there is a list of required things to show on the tour. They run tours 3 or 4 days a week depending on the weather.
1. San Andreas Fault Tour – the regular main tour in the morning. We live @ the southern end of this fault. Our fault is “gentle”. 2 a day. 8 AM and 1 PM.
2. Indian Canyons – only in the weekends, weather permitting.
3. Still doing Joshua Tree – leave the Valley early to avoid the heat. 1 a day.
4. Cancelling the Painted Canyon Tour in the summer.
– REPORT that they are only doing one tour and get off the Desert floor before it gets hot. Start earlier.
– DISCUSSION of the tour items they have for animals, babies, older folks etc.
– REPORT that there are 5 Canyons; Palm, Andreas, Murray, Chino and Tahquitz REPORT on the 3 ways the plates move. 1. Subduction zone. 2. Plate spreading. 3. Strike/slip.
– DISCUSSION of what they do when they encounter a rattlesnake.
– DISCUSSION of roadrunners. Territorial and cannot fly. They eat rattlesnakes. Their footprint has two toes going backward and two toes going forward. Prints don’t tell which direction the bird was going.
– (contact info; www.red-jeep.com and (760 324-5337).