Charity Segment – November 3, 2023
3:00 – 4:00 PM
Seg 2 – Charity Segment
LISTEN TO THE COMPLETE SHOW FOR DETAILS OF SUBJECTS DISCUSSED IN THIS INTERVIEW.
READ WITH ME VOLUNTEER PROGRAM w/ Sean Webb, Director 1, Literary Outreach, Riverside County Office of Education. Partnership w/ Literacy by 5th Grade.
– REPORT that this organization has been in the CV for 20 years. Mission is to be certain that all our students are literate. Focus on elementary students where English is perhaps NOT the primary language in the home.
– REPORT that they are in 20 schools w/ 600 volunteers. All the way from Salton Sea to DHS.
– DISCUSSION of the volunteer’s duties. i.e. help the teachers. Found students can READ the words, but not UNDERSTAND the words.
– DISCUSSION of the impact the Pandemic had on the students learning to read.
– REPORT that Volunteers are asked to do 1 to 2 hours a week w/ a commitment of time of 8 weeks. Programs vary from school to school.
– REPORT that they gave out $95,000. In books in addition to the tutoring hours they provided.
– DISCUSSION that donations of any size are needed too.
– (contact info; www.readwithmevolunteers.com and (760) 567-1830).