Eisenhower Health Segment – December 29, 2021
5:00 – 6:00 AM and 9:00 – 10:00 AM
Hour 3 Seg 1 – Eisenhower Health Segment
EISENHOWER HEALTH w/ Scott Stretch, Chief Administrator Officer of Cardiovascular Services for E.H. and Lee Rice 17 years as Media Coordinator and Communications Specialist @ Eisenhower Health 39000 Bob Hope Dr., Rancho Mirage, CA. 92270.
– REPORT that E.H. is always looking for the latest technology and innovative procedures and they are now providing Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement.
– REPORT that E.H. has done 500 TAVRs and is the only hospital in the CV to be doing so.
– DISCUSSION that BEFORE the valve could only be repaired by opening the chest, which is not necessarily a good option for older patients.
– TAVR goes in thru a very small incision in your groin and goes up thru your aorta w/ a small catheter and fix your heart from the “inside out”. NOT AS INVASIVE SURGERY.
– DISCUSSION that patients who might not survive the traditional surgery have a better chance of longer, healthier lives.
– REPORT that frail patients, who can’t survive the anesthesia, etc., can have this TAVR procedure safely.
– REPORT that the catheter is the size of a pencil and your aorta is the size of a nickel. Patients are up and about usually the same day and have little or no hospital stay.
– DISCUSSION of how the surgery is done via contrasting dye on a computer.
– REPORT that Eisenhower Health is the first hospital in CA. to achieve these levels of TAVR success. Gets folks up, in and out.
– DISCUSSION of different levels of anesthesia are used.
– REPORT that this procedure has allowed older patients to be treated safely. Oldest so far is 102.
– (contact info: www.eisenhowerhealth.org and (760) 837-8601).