City of Palm Springs Segment – May 30, 2020
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Hour 3 Seg 1 – City of Palm Springs Segment
Hello, hello Joey Pals;
Just to remind you, that even though I am doing my best to provide you up-to-date information, please check websites and phone numbers for the latest. Coronavirus Hotlines and Websites: Desert Oasis Healthcare www.mydohc.com; Eisenhower Health (760) 837-8988; Desert AIDS Project Triage Clinic (760) 992-0407. Be well and all the best. Blessings, Joey.
CITY OF PALM SPRINGS w/ City Manager David Ready – 3200 E. Tahquitz Cyn., Way. Palm Springs, CA. 92262. 20 years next week.
– REPORT on the City Council’s extension of the eviction policy for tenants and landlords.
– REPORT than 10 years of work and innovation here in the City has been compromised in the last 10 weeks, but the quick action of our City made a huge difference.
– REPORT on the positive participation of residents in the newly opened restaurants and businesses.
– REPORT that the Mayor’s task force has been meeting weekly w/ the business community and how to make the re-entry of all go smoothly….possible closure of some streets, some days, for more space for restaurants.
– DISCUSSION of when bars might re-open.
– REPORT on his biggest worry. HOW TO GET THE NEW DOWNTOWN re-opened and tourism back to re-start the economy.
– REPORT that the City has lost millions of dollars due to COVID-19. Council’s priority is ALWAYS safety for our City. Spending $20 million to finish this fiscal year and enough for next year, but that will be the end of those funds. Police and Fire personnel will be kept on the job. They will defer hiring new persons.
– PLANNING of the adjustments that they will have to make.
– DISCUSSION of the homeless problem. Social Services is a function of County Government, not City. BUT the City Council has put significant resources into dealing w/ the homeless issue but now they don’t have the funds. County will hopefully step up.
– REPORT on housing homeless, essential service folks, medical COVID-19 personnel, in our hotels.
– REPORT that staff is back @ City Hall and “on the street”, but w/ all safety precautions in place.
– THE BEST THING is the way everyone is coming together.