cont. “Senior Moment” Segment – March 14, 2020
10:00 – 11:00 AM
Hour 2 Seg 2 – cont. “Senior Moment” Segment
Hello, hello Joey Pals;
Just to remind you that many of the interviews, events and functions I am featuring this week are being canceled, postponed or rescheduled minute by minute.
Please check web sites and phone numbers for up-to-date information. Be well and all the best. Joey.
DEMENTIA HELP CENTER w/ Kae Hammond re: President & Founder; 495 Town Center Way, 44 Ste., B, Palm Desert, CA. 92260.
– DISCUSSION of people suffering from a great sense of isolation. Loss of conversational skills, phone calls, friends etc.
– DISCUSSION that friends and family start stepping away. They don’t know what to do or say to the caregiver. They are terrified of what is happening to their friend and fearful it will happen to them. Animosity goes BOTH WAYS.
– REPORT that isolation happens for the patient as well when they are cared for @ home.
– ISOLATION is a major issue in this country vs. Solitude. CDC calls isolation a disease now.
– DISCUSSION that isolation causes depression, dietary changes, hoarding issues, shopping networks addictions and therefore the loss of their funds.
– DISCUSSION that a spouse feels guilty because they “promised” their spouse would NEVER have to leave home, that they would “care” for the spouse FOREVER.
– SUGGESTION to just pick up the phone and ask the caregiver what you can do/get/bring them. Etc.
– RECOMMENDS “share the care” situations and support groups.
– 70% of caregivers suffer chronic, life-altering conditions or DIE before the person they are caring for.
– REPORT on “THRIVE” a FREE a support group for Dementia Family Caregivers. Usually meets 1st and 3rd Wed., of every month @ 10 AM. Hosted by “The Fountains @ the Carlotta”. Call for details