City of Palm Springs Segment – November 23, 2019
10:00 – 11:00 AM
Hour 2 Seg 2 – City of Palm Springs Segment
SAVE THE PLAZA THEATRE w/ J.R. Roberts re: 128 S. Palm Cyn., Dr., Palm Springs, CA. 92262.
– DISCUSSION of his history of community service and being a City Councilman for 4 years. His success w/ the Architecture and Design Center.
– He’s the Co-chair of the Steering Committee to “save”/restore the Historic Plaza Theatre, the ole’ movie palace, built in 1936.
– REPORT on the need to raise 10 – 12 million dollars to fully restore the Theatre.
– REPORT on the generous donations from Dorothy Meyerman, Modernism Week and P.S. Preservation.
– REPORT on Lily Tomlin’s public service announcement that she made.
– Two years to raise the monies and then 1 year to do the construction.
– REPORT on the preservationist committee he’s formed; Ross Matthews, Mary Bono, Gino Lamont, Debbie Green, Kim Waltrip, etc.
– HEAD’S UP for benefit(s) coming up w/ Nancy Sinatra.
– DISCUSSION of the “naming” opportunities for EVERYTHING @ the Theatre going forward.