July 8, 2017
R.O.T.W./Entertainment/Talk of Stars/Animals Segments
RESTAURANT OF THE WEEK
Willie Rhine “849”
Breakfast served on the weekends.
– ALL SUMMER LONG $29. 3 – course dinners. Sunday thru Thursday. Same portions, same food, just great price from 5 PM to close. (save 52%)
– Lounge menu from 11 AM where you can say you “ate” (8), “for” (4), $9 (9)!!! Glass of wine is only $4.
– 25% off to any “Joey Pals” for the regular lunch menu all summer long.
– His catering business
LOVING ALL ANIMALS
So many animals went missing over the 4th of July.
– Don’t adopt an animal you can’t give a “forever” home too.
– Rules for animal care in this heat….don’t walk on hot pavement, don’t leave water outside in a metal dish
– July 16 – “Pets on Parade” Luncheon @ the Omni Rancho Las Palmas
RESTAURANT OF THE WEEK
“A.J.’s”. She’s going to Italy this month, then Sept., 1,2, @ the Purple Room in Palm Springs
“Senior Moment” Segment
FAMILY HOSPICE CARE
Dr. Howie Cohen
Peace, dignity, and comfort.
– Hospice is not about dying, it’s about living.
– Hospice care takes place in your home, or where you live.
– Most folks wait too long to contact hospice.
– Two types of patients in hospice….those w/ cancer and those without.
– The hospice team helps the individual AND also the family. Supports discussions that SHOULD happen between patient and family as life nears an end.
FOREST LAWN MEMORIAL PARK
The peace, comfort, and serenity of being @ Forest Lawn, for 100 plus years.
– History and availability of the “funeral coach”…they have blue, black and white Cadillac ones. Forest Lawn does not put funeral curtains in them.
– The vintage funeral coach that can be seen @ car shows as well.
– The horse-drawn funeral coach that is available for services w/ black or white horses. Sides are glass.
– The “memento safe” in caskets.
– The “jump seats” inside the vintage funeral coach for 2 persons to ride in.
– Forest Lawn in Glendale has the largest collection of stained glass in the United States.
– The Forest Lawn app on their website to find a gravesite.
– The Alex Levin artist for the mosaic “On the Way to the Kotel” (18′ X 13′) outside near the Jewish section of Forest Lawn.
MENTION – VITALITAS HOME CARE REFERRAL AGENCY
– 7/18 “Hope Care Options Workshop” It’s FREE and lunch will be served @ 777 E. Tahquitz Cyn., Way.
www.vitalitashca.com (760) 407-6505
Glenn McC. of D.H.S. CA.
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
NEURO VITALITY CENTER
The Jackie Lee Thrift Store has some new staff. Need for volunteers there.
– Heat strokes are different that regular strokes.
– New gym for folks w/ MS and Parkinsons etc., w/ specific equipment that helps alleviate some of the symptoms.
– The only facility of its kind IN THE WORLD.
DESERT REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER
The only trauma center between here and the border.
– July 12 – “Unburden Your Shoulder” Solutions to Shoulder Pain. w/ Dr. Sydney Pardino, MD. @ the Joslyn Center from 10 AM to 11 AM. FREE (again @ Mizell on Aug.,3)
– July 20 – “When Handshakes Hurt” Options for Pain in the Hand & Wrist. w/ Dr. Ramin Pooyan, DO. @ the Mizell Senor Center from 1 to 2 PM. FREE
– Aug., 9 – “Counting Sheep” Ways to Improve Your Sleep. w/ Dr. Navab, MD. @ Joslyn from 10 to 11 AM. FREE
F.I.N.D. FOOD BANK
Mission statement is to correct “food insecurity” here in the Valley.
– Senior population suffers from this the most. They end up in the emergency room from malnutrition.
– There’s more than enough food for everybody.
– 100 non profits come to F.I.N.D. for food them each week. Also churches, schools, etc., to provide food.
– Fleet of trucks picks up 3 million pounds of food a year from grocery stores, etc.,
– “Project Produce” for folks dealing w/ health issues. This food comes from farmers, fields, larger grocery chains (throughout the state) to the tune of 6 million pounds a year.
9 Cities Blood Drive
– TODAY; 12 noon @ San Pablo Community Center in Palm Desert is the 1st of the 9 drives.
– Donors get gifts when giving blood.
– They are the exclusive provider of blood for JFK, EMC, and Desert Regional Hospitals.
– How blood is tested for hepatitis, HIV, ZICA, etc.
– How donors are tested. All overseen by FDA. Can donate whole blood every 6 weeks.
– O- (O negative) is the “go to” blood type needed.
– Discussion of the fear of needles involved.
– Must be at least 15 to donate blood.