Desert Regional Medical Center Segment – May 12, 2018
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Hour 3 Seg 2 – Desert Regional Medical Center Segment
DESERT TRAUMA SURGEONS
Dr. Frank Ercoli, M.D., FACS, FCCM
– Over 50,000 patients have been treated @ the J.A. Richards Trauma center. Patients come from AZ., northern Mexico etc,.
– D.R.M.C. was designated a trauma center in 1980. Dr. Ercoli has been there 29 years, w/ Dr. Oscar Paz and they have seen over 45,000 of those 50,000 patients.
– Growth of trauma cases due to the growth in the Valley and increased area of service.
– Hansen House (similar to Ronald McDonald House) to provide services to patient’s family. It is a 501 C3 organization. 17 guest rooms. 11,000 sq. feet. Opened originally on 12.23.2003.
– Yearly “Festival in the Canyons” that began in 1996, now will be Sat., Nov.,3, 2018 @ the Air Museum benefit for Hansen House. Combined w/ Neo-natal intensive care unit @ D.R.M.C. (only one in the Coachella Valley) (www.hansonhouse.org) Originally was the “Smooth Jazz Festival” back in the Indian Canyons.
– Df. of trauma services and criteria provided by the 12 person Trauma Team @ D.R.M.C. His demeanor is really calm during crisis. He was taught by Dr. McKenzie to only be “concerned” not “worried”.
– Trauma repeats itself.
– The story of how/why he because a doctor and then a trauma and critical care surgeon.
– 4/24/18 – On winning the Richard Milanovich Community Service Award Winner presented by the P.S. Chamber, along w/ Dr. Oscar Paz.