Tribal Segment – February 16, 2022
5:00 – 6:00 AM and 9:00 – 10:00 AM
Hour 3 Seg 2 – Tribal Segment
PALM SPRINGS MOUNTED POLICE/SEARCH AND RESCUE w/ Chris Castro re: Tribal Ranger and “on call” for Search and Rescue.
– REPORT that the unit has been around since 1949 and is a reserved unit of the P.S. Police.
– REPORT that they don’t use horses anymore. You had to have your own horse then.
– REPORT that they are all volunteers.
– DISCUSSION that when the call come in, they set up a search team. Cell phones help to locate lost hikers, etc. Sometimes use aviation units.
– REPORT on how they “hoist” the lost person, possibly hurt, dehydrated, etc., They stabilize the person then airlift them to safety.
– DISCUSSION of the “screamer suit” that is used to hoist folks back up into the copter. Fly them back to a triage center.
– REPORT that they do public relations @ the trail heads to give the public safety information etc., i.e. water, cell phones, property shoes, property clothing, knowing where they are, etc.
– REPORT on all the support from the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indians!!!
– DISCUSSION of how they have even rescued animals!!!
– DISCUSSION of his duties as a tribal ranger.
– (contact info: FB PAGE. Palm Springs Mounted Police Search and Rescue and call 911.).