cont. “Senior Moment” Segment – December 11, 2021
10:00 – 11:00 AM
Hour 2 Seg 2 – cont. “Senior Moment” Segment
DEMENTIA HELP CENTER w/ Lisa Stanford re: Family Care Consultant w/ a background w/ Alzheimer and Dementia in her family.
– REPORT that this is a tough time of the year for EVERYONE, but especially for care-givers of Dementia/Alzheimers sufferers.
– REPORT that there is sometimes “denial” in a family dynamic. This can be more stressful that the Dementia issue itself. Sometimes letting this person “take over” the care for a time will “show them” the real issue.
– REPORT of her suggestions for the holidays for families w/ Dementia/Alzheimers loved ones.
1. Be honest w/ the people coming about your loved one.
2. Therapudic Tales. Tell you loved one “little lies” about who is and isn’t there.
3. Control the “meet and greet” when introducing guests to your loved one. Remind them of who they are. Tell a “reminder” story. Look them in the eye. Give them 10 seconds to answer. Keep them updated.
4. Create a “safe space”.
– REPORT that they recommend places for placement and they constantly monitor and conduct “snap inspections” on these facilities.
– REPORT on the bi-monthly “THRIVE” support group for ALL LEVELS. Wednesdays 10 to 11:30 live in the conference room @ 75270 Hwy., 111, Indian Wells. R.S.V.P. please. Open to clients, family, care-givers. Also have a ZOOM meeting. Call for the link. FREE CONSULTATIONS.
– (contact info: www.dementiahelpcenter.com and (760) 636-6355).