cont. “Senior Moment” Segment – April 11, 2020
10:00 – 11:00 AM
Hour 2 Seg 2 – cont. “Senior Moment” Segment
Hello, hello Joey Pals;
Just to remind you, that even though I am doing my best to provide you up-to-date information, please check websites and phone numbers for the latest. Coronavirus Hotlines and Websites: Desert Oasis Healthcare www.mydohc.com; Eisenhower Health (760) 837-8988; Desert AIDS Project Triage Clinic (760) 992-0407. Be well and all the best. Blessings, Joey.
DEMENTIA HELP CENTER w/ Kae Hammond re: President & Founder; 495 Town Center Way, 44 Ste., B, Palm Desert, CA. 92260.
– DISCUSSION of people suffering from a great sense of isolation in these times. 98 forms of dementia.
– DISCUSSION that routine is the most important part of life for an Alzheimer’s/Dementia patient.
– REPORT that the approach is as for a child. i.e. short attention span and need for attention.
– DISCUSSION that homes now have Alzheimer’s patients, kids out of school, spouses etc., @ home ad that the proper music on in the background will be very helpful. Re: Dr. Oliver Sacks.
– REPORT that Spectrum has music channels from #1901-1944 and Frontier is #1801-1900. Patients respond better to the music they heard when they were younger.
– DISCUSSION that the worst thing you can do is let these patients watch the news. i.e. Sirens, gun shots etc., are alarming to them. Patients don’t make the connection that it is a fantasy.
– DISCUSSION of the tranquil tv shows that patients can watch and be soothed. i.e. Nat. Geo, Hallmark, PBS.
– REPORT to put your loved one in the car and take a drive.
– Caregivers can call for support and coaching to combat the loneliness and isolation. Also via Zoom. Call anytime.