cont. “Senior Moment” Segment – September 14, 2019
10:00 – 11:00 AM
Hour 2 Seg 2 – cont. “Senior Moment” Segment
FAMILY HOSPICE CARE w/ Dr. Howard Cohen re: 255 El Cielo Rad., C-300, Palm Springs, CA. 92262.
– People are referred to hospice by their doctors, care-givers, and/or families. Then they have a consult after an official request.
– Hospice patients must be within 6 months of the end-of-life (if their disease continues on it’s current course.) – Older patients are more accepting of hospice than younger ones.
– Dr. Cohen teaches medical residents about hospice and how to deliver the sometime very bad, negative news. There are protocol guidelines. NEVER over the phone, must be done in a face-to-face situation.
– The “hope” that hospice gives to a patient, comes under the heading of support and comfort.
– Good book called “The Four Agreements” for residents, doctors and caregivers.
– Hospice is about living not about dying.