Desert Care Network Segment – February 13, 2021
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Hour 3 Seg 2 – Desert Care Network Segment
Hello, hello Joey Pals;
Just to remind you, that even though I am doing my best to provide you up-to-date information, please check websites and phone numbers for the latest. Coronavirus Hotlines and Websites: Desert Oasis Healthcare www.mydohc.com (760) 969-6555; Eisenhower Health (760) 837-8988; DAP Health Triage Clinic (760) 992-0407. Be well and all the best. Blessings, Joey.
DESERT CARE NETWORK w/ Rachel Millard. Re: Desert Regional Medical Center. She’s a nurse practitioner for the Bariatric Department of Surgical Weight Loss Program @ 1180 N. Indian Canyon, Palm Springs. FNP – C.
– DISCUSSION on who qualifies for this surgery and how it is managed @ D.R.M.C. Insurances cover this procedure.
– REPORT on the 2 types of this surgery.
a. Gastric Sleeve, where the surgeon cuts the stomach down to the shape/size of a banana. Better for patients. Uses the laparoscopy technique. Under general anesthesia. Next week they will perform the first “out-patient” for this procedure. REPORT on what will happen if you continue to eat @ the same level.
b. Gastric By-Pass, which Rachel had after she had her baby.
– DISCUSSION of how the Pandemic has impacted these surgical procedures. Being overweight affects how patients will do when contracting COVID-19. After any of these surgeries, folks feel better almost immediately.
– DISCUSSION of how patients educate the rest of their family and their eating habits AFTER this surgery. When children get heavy earlier, those fat cells are hard to correct.
– REPORT that obesity is a disease AND obesity has INCREASED during the “stay-at-home” order.