Palm Springs Segment – October 17, 2020
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Hour 3 Seg 2 – Palm Springs Segment
Hello, hello Joey Pals;
Just to remind you, that even though I am doing my best to provide you up-to-date information, please check websites and phone numbers for the latest. Coronavirus Hotlines and Websites: Desert Oasis Healthcare www.mydohc.com (760) 969-6555; Eisenhower Health (760) 837-8988; Desert AIDS Project Triage Clinic (760) 992-0407. Be well and all the best. Blessings, Joey.
CITY OF PALM SPRINGS w/ Mayor Geoff Kors re: City Hall. 3200 E. Tahquitz Cyn., Way, Palm Springs, CA. 92262.
– REPORT on his leadership during this Pandemic and how good Palm Springs has done in dealing w/ this. The Compliance Code is being strictly enforced by the City.
– REPORT on the “red zone” vs. going back to “purple” in the whole county. We have a week to address these issues.
– REPORT on the “reopening taskforce”.
– REPORT on the success of the closing of S. Palm Canyon for both restaurants and retail shops. This was done very quickly and the changes and outreach going on. How having Indian Canyon go both ways has facilitated this closure.
– DISCUSSION of the new flights coming into Palm Springs International Airport. Better for our Tourism Industry.
– REPORT on how prepared we are for fire season here in Palm Springs. Kudos for our Police and Fire departments.
– WE HAVE A BALANCED BUDGET for this year and still have reserves.
– DISCUSSION of the retirement of City Manager David Ready after 20 years. How we will do a national search for a new City Manager.
– REPORT that the City is now going thru it’s 20-year plan. The Mayor wants every citizen’s input.
– COMMENTS on our homeless situation. “Project room key” for hundreds of people to get hotel rooms. Via our Social Service Providers etc., We have 2 Crisis Teams that “track” the Homeless Community along w/ the P.S. Police Force. We got a DIRECT Grant from the State toward this need thanks to the efforts of Mayor Kors and Councilmember Holstege.
– COMMENTS on Airbnb/Homesharing/Vacation Rentals. Ordinance may have to go on the ballot. We have a strong set of ordinances here in Palm Springs.
Complaints have been explained and rectified. The Mayor constantly asks for updates on this issue.
The T.O.T. taxes pay for our Police and Fire services.
– DISCUSSION of the increase in our Real Estate values.
– REPORT on the need for better Internet services here in Palm Springs as folks work so much from home.
– His term is up Dec., 12 and then Christy Holstege will probably be the next Mayor or then Lisa Middleton.
– COMMENT that even though our revenue is less we are still able to fund all the neighborhood parks, downtown parks, etc.
– REPORT on his efforts on behalf of the Boys and Girls Club re-opening for kids w/ all protocols from single parents, teachers, etc., Raising money to add funding for more students that are on a waiting list. www.bgcps.org.
– STAY TUNED for the Virtual “State of the City” in Nov., w/ the Mayor and Nona Watson from the P.S. Chamber.
– EMAIL THE MAYOR @ Geoff.email@example.com.