“The Babies” Segment – June 9 , 2018
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Hour 3 Seg 4 – “The Babies” Segment
HOHMANN FINE ART
– “The Babies” are 10 sculptures. Made out of fiberglass by David Cerny w/ no faces….just bar codes.
– The concept of “The Babies” was made many years ago for the Museum of Art in Chicago originally.
– “The Babies” were in Prague for 20 years, and were deteriorating, so they are being rebuilt w/ a new and different frame, and therefore David Cerny got his original ones back, which are here in Palm Springs now.
– Christian worked w/ Michael Braun, of Grit Development to bring them here and display them for the next 20 months.
– David Cerny is not surprised by the different reactions to “The Babies”, because his felt that in coming from a Communist Country where he couldn’t express his art, the freedom he had to do “The Babies” trumped any criticism they might generate.
– “The Babies” are in between the Kimpton and the Art Museum.
– Also responsible, along w/ Michael Braun of Grit Development, for The “Isabelle” statue by Julian Voss-Andreae now on display in Palm Springs.