February 11, 2017
DESERT ROSE PLAYHOUSE
Jim Strait, Artistic Director
Discussing closing weekend for “Vampire Lesbians” and “Coma”, shows @ 8 PM tonight and 2 PM tomorrow @ the only LGBTIQA Playhouse in the Valley. Also:
- 2/12 “Mixed Plate” 6 PM Annual Fundraising Party. Food from LuLu and Acqua California Bistro. 7 PM Cabaret acts from regular cast of actors. Tickets are only $50 for show/wine/dessert/fun.
- 3/17 Del Shores’ “Southern Baptist Sissies” opens. Directed by Stevie Fisher.
- www.desertroseplayhouse.org and (760) 202-3000
RESTAURANT OF THE WEEK
Discussing “Azul”, the new color of Palm Springs. His newly designed “Joey” glass for the molten chocolate cake and/or wine. Coming up:
- TONIGHT: 2/11, 7:30 PM – “Just Call Me Diva” w/ Allison Annalora, w/Eve Holmes & Cat-Lyn Day, as Marilyn Monroe.
- 2/19: Then her book signing @ Azul, “Late Blooming, My Gender Journey”
- www.alibiazul.com and (760) 322-5533
RESTAURANT OF THE WEEK
James “Gypsy” Hauuk
Discussing “Oscar’s”. Dan Gore’s “Carnival Cabaret” is on hiatus and his exciting new show will be “Gypsy Follies” opening soon. And Tony Daniels of “Razzle Dazzle” weekly magic show each Saturday afternoon @ 2 PM. $15/adults. Children under 13 are free. Can get tickets @ the door.
Discussing 3/4 – 5K Run, 1K Walk for the Animals “Superhero” @ Rancho Mirage Community Park. 2/16 from 4 – 6 PM – “Yappy Hour” @ Omni Resorts Rancho Las Palmas Resorts.
LOVING ALL ANIMALS
Discussing 2/24 “Happy Yappy Hour” w/Rocky Randall @ Venus de Fido in Palm Desert. $35 w/ R.S.V.P., and $45 @ the door. 2/19, 5th Annual “Faith, Hope & Pups” polo luncheon @ Empire Polo Club in Indio.
– Conversation about Feral Cats. Bring them to Animal Samaritans and/or Loving All Animals for spay and neutering. Then they are returned to their environment where they keep the rodent population in check.
– Conversation about being a foster parent for an animal. Trial time to be certain everyone gets along. You DON’T HAVE TO ADOPT, just foster!!!! Food, kennel, litter, kennel, etc. is provided for you.
Molly T. of Rancho Mirage
McCallum Moment/Senior Moment Segment
MC CALLUM MOMENT – TALK OF STARS
Discussing her concert TONIGHT. Her history on “America’s Got Talent”. Her talent, her poise, her moral code, her family. March 31, her new album, some of the songs that she has written.
ART PALM SPRINGS
Anne Kelly, Associate Director
Rachel Lee Hovnanian, Artist in residence @ Imago Galleries, Palm Desert
Discussing “Photo Eye Gallery” Santa Fe, Feb. 16 – 19 @ P.S. Convention Center. Anne’s focus on photography and her humanistic “take” on technology. Also discussing Rachel’s “Perfect Baby Showroom” exhibit.
www.brighthausmarketing.com and (760) 898-6933
CONVERSATION about saying “I’m so sorry for your loss” comment from a “Joey Pal”. (email: email@example.com) and Dr. George FREE Car Show in Indio today @ the Indian Wells Tennis Gardens. Forest Lawn’s antique funeral coach is on display. Proceeds to Desert Cancer Foundation.
Dr. Howard Cohen
Take the time to WRITE something down after someone has a loss. We are not trained to deal w/death. Make your comments personal to the person you are talking to. Say NOTHING, be quiet. A book called “The Blue Zone” re: where in the world people age the best.
Discussing letting the grieving person SAY something. Share a memory of their lost one that they may or may not know. Ask if they would like a hug? Ask them to talk about their loved one. DON’T SAY, “at least you have other i.e. children”, etc. Being “alone” permanently is different that waiting out a long or terminal illness. Thinking that people will be “over it” in 30 days is not usually correct.
- 2/21 – “Understanding Grief” FREE seminar from 7 – 9 PM @ Forest Lawn, Cathedral City in the Ramon Room.
- Participating in the services for CAL-FIRE officer Sara Thomas who died due to her “in the Line of Duty” Service. The fact that fellow firefighters and police officers stand “guard” 24/7 for their fallen comrade on their own time. The “Sea of Blue” that turns out @ the cemetery. Firefighters often die of cancer due to the toxins they breathe in on the job.
- www.forestlawn.com and (760) 321-6009
Kids/Pets Giveaway winner:
Paul C. of Indio
The new “gym” is open and in use daily. Special classes for those w/Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson’s as well as stroke ad traumatic brain injury. www.neurovitalitycenter.org
DESERT REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER
Discussing 2/14 – “Affair of the Heart” FREE half-day event. Largest event all year. Please RSVP to (800) 491-4990. Food, demonstrations, screenings, diet info, women and heart disease info, cooking/chef demos. CPR demos. Drs. Cosgrove, Ghatnekar, Bhakta and Gundry
Discussing 2/18 “Walk to End Alzheimer’s 2017” @ Palm Desert Civic Center Park. Largest voluntary health organization dedicated to Alzheimer’s research and support. 19 years in the Coachella Valley. No cure. 40 % higher incidents of death for caregivers than Alzheimer’s patients.
ISRAEL CANCER RESEARCH FUND
Discussing 2/27 Gala @ Annenberg Theatre @ 6 PM. Honoring Former U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer. Co-chairs Gloria Guttman, Barbara and Jerry Keller. Emcee’d by Patrick Mundt, Chairman of the Coachella Valley Board of ICRF. Funds research for cancer in Israel where huge breakthroughs in cancer treatments have occurred. Three Virginia Waring pianists will perform. This funding led to development of the drug Gleevec, that targets the gene that causes the cancer. Tix prices begin @ $120.
www.icrfla.org and (818) 986-2100
The Annenberg Theater and (760) 325-4490
Discussing mission statement; one of the largest and oldest non-profits in the Coachella Valley; 250 staff; 4 locations; huge bus system. Big Valentine’s Day party w/a King and Queen. Upcoming:
- 3/25 – “Color Your Soul” @ Cahuilla Park @ 7 AM.
- 4/6 – Golf Tourney @ Fantasy Springs.
- www.desertarc.org and (760) 346-1611
Eddie C. of Palm Springs